Monday, February 3, 2014

Steamed Yucca Roots

Yucca roots are root vegetables grown in temperate climates, such as in Asia and Africa, and served like potatoes. Poor people in Vietnam are very familiar with these roots. I used to have this dish every breakfast before going to work with my mother on the farm. During the period from 1975 to 1979, my family was very poor and these roots of potatoes were very helpful to feed the hungry kids like us. Surprisingly, it tastes very good or maybe my empty stomach made everything taste wonderful. I do not have to eat these roots anymore, but to relive my childhood memory, I like to prepare this dish for myself to appreciate all the things that I have now. Thirty years ago, in my wildest dreams, I could not believe that someday I can make this dish in a little fancier way than what my mother prepared for us every morning.

Ingredients:
2 lbs yucca roots, peeled, skinned, and cut into 4 inch pieces
 
 







1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
2 tbs roasted sesame seeds, ground
2 tbs roasted peanuts, ground

Directions:
Combine the coconut milk, salt, and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
In a steamer over high heat, place the yucca roots onto the steamer. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.

Uncover and apply a small portion of the coconut milk over the yucca. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover the lid and apply another small portion of the coconut milk again. Continue until all of the coconut milk is applied to the yucca roots.  Yucca roots will be ready to serve when they are soft and tender (about 30 minutes). Place the cooked yucca on a serving plate. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, ground roasted sesame seeds, and ground peanuts.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite treats.
    I remember enjoying this back in Vietnam as well; some days that was all that we could eat.

    http://chicandalluring.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete