Thursday, July 17, 2014

Vietnamese Sweet Rice & Corn in Crockpot (Xôi Bắp Nhảo)

Xôi Bắp Nhảo is another Vietnamese popular snack food. This food is served on a "bowl" made from a banana leaf and with a small part of a coconut branch for the spoon. It is cute to eat this way and a practical choice for container instead of using plastic kinds. I posted this recipe a long time ago using the recipe from a blogger names Opera. Recently, I watched this new recipe on YouTube demonstrated by a chef named Xuân Hồng. Her recipe is a lot closer to the taste that I remember from my younger years. I did not live close to a Vietnamese town now; therefore, I cannot get a banana leaf to make a bowl nor like Xuân Hồng who uses some of the palm tree plants in her garden to create a serving spoon.
I still use the technique that I learned before from the Opera blogger that makes this meal in a Crockpot. However, I changed a few things in the recipe to create my own for a healthier choice and for my taste. Xuân Hồng is very detailed in her demonstration. Go to YouTube.com to get her original version of this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 bag of Bắp Chà hay bắp dã  (12 oz)
One can of Coco Rico
2 cups coconut milk (from Costco)
4 cups water
1 tbs salt
1 tbs chia seeds

Topping ingredients:
Roasted peanuts
Roosted sesame seeds
Shredded coconut flakes

Directions:
Wash Bắp Chà hay bắp dã and drain well. In the crockpot, combine washed Bắp Chà hay bắp dã with the rest of the ingredients, except the topping. Cover the crockpot.

 Cover with lid and let it slow cook overnight. It will be ready in the morning to enjoy as down breakfast.
 

Add two tbs sugar and one tsp salt for every 1/2 cup of crushed peanuts and add 1 tbs crushed sesame seeds. Mix well. This is the topping for this recipe but also can be used for most of the sweet rice dishes in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment