Thursday, August 14, 2014

Rhubarb Pie

I have finally grown my own rhubarb many years after settling into my home. Last week, I with my family returned from an Alaskan cruise aboard a Princess cruise ship. One dessert on the ship, which I especially liked, was a rhubarb tart. All the food was fantastic; therefore, I gave my compliments to the chef, and I bought his cookbook. I also had a few recipes for making rhubarb pie from my friends, but I will combine some of techniques I learned from the Princess chef’s cookbook to create this recipe. This is the first rhubarb pie recipe that I want to share on my blog because it is simple. With only a few simple steps and ingredients, the result is a pie that is just as delicious as the rhubarb tart that was served on the Princess cruise.

Ingredients:
4 or 5 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 cup water
1 cup sugar (divided in half)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 drops red food coloring
1/4 tsp agar or gelatin
1 tbs butter
One double recipe pie dough or store-bought

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°.
In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Set aside.

Bring the water and the remaining sugar  to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Place rhubarb into the syrup and add agar powder (simmer for 5 minutes).

Add the cooked rhubarb into the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Add red food coloring.

Roll dough into a 9 inch round pie tin for a thick crust or a 10 inch round glass pie plate for a thinner crust.

Spoon the rhubarb mixture onto the pie crust. Level the rhubarb mixture and dot with butter.


Roll out dough for the top crust. Place onto filled pie container.

Trim dough 1/2-inch beyond container edge. Fold top crust under bottom crust edge to seal. Crimp and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to allow steam to escape.  Sprinkle one more tablespoon of sugar if desire over the top and dot with more butter.
Place the pie container onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
Lower the temperature to 350° and bake for another 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling in the center is bubbly. Cool to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment