Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Beet Tomato Spinach Salad

Yesterday, after I donated my blood, the nurse who took my blood gave me this recipe for beet salad. Basically, beets and spinach are the friendly vegetables for people with a lack of iron. This salad recipe is so simple, so I am giving it a try. Cheese is usually a part of the finished topping for this salad, but I will not use any kind of cheese on mine because I am lactose intolerant.  Feel free to use feta, parmesan, or goat cheese, etc.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. of beets or 3 beets
2 cup spinach
1 tomato, diced 
1/2 cup red onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped nuts
Dressing ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
 
Garnish with chopped fresh basil and mints

Directions:
Trim and wash beets well.


Cut foil big enough to hold 3 beets. Drizzle 2 tbs of olive oil over beets and 1/2 tsp salt.


 Cover beets completely and bake in preheated oven set to 400° for 1 1/2 hours. Check doneness of beets by piercing them with a toothpick. Let cool. Peel and slice.



In a jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake well.

To serve:
On a plate, place spinach, sliced beets, diced tomatoes, and sliced red onions. Add salad dressing, nuts, and fresh herbs.
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment