Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Stir-Fried Bananas in Coconut Cream

When it comes to bananas, this recipe is one of my favorites. It reminds me of my younger years in Vietnam. After school hours, my friends and I always treated ourselves to this dessert .The nice memory for this dessert was that who among us ate the least would have to pay. Of course, I was the victim because all my friends ate a lot. After April 30, 1975, all of my friends were left  Vietnam, and I settled into another country. Unfortunately, we have been disconnected ever since then. Every time I prepare this dessert, I feel as if all my friends and I are sitting around on the side streets of Vietnam outside of our high school. We enjoyed this dessert with silly laughs and innocent stories which we exchanged with each other. This recipe requires real Vietnamese bananas. However, I found that the plantain banana can be substituted as long as it is not ripe. The plantain bananas after being cooked still hold their shape and are tender.

Ingredients:
3 plantain bananas
1/3 cup tapioca pearls, small size
1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 ½ cups coconut cream
1 tbs vanilla
2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Garnish with crushed roasted peanuts

Directions:
Soak tapioca pearls for 30 minutes. Drain.
Cook plantain bananas in water for 30 to 50 minutes. Let cool. Then peel and slice.




Cook coconut cream with sugar and tapioca pearls until tapioca pearls are cooked through. Tapioca looks clear when it is cooked.

Mix the cornstarch with water and pour into the coconut cream. Stir to thicken the coconut milk. Add vanilla.

To serve:
Place bananas on an individual plate. Pour coconut cream over the bananas. Top with crushed roasted peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment