Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Cherry Tomatoes Salad

Nothing is more refreshing than a bowl of fresh cherry tomatoes salad in summer. This year, my garden produced lots of cherry tomatoes. Unfortunately, I had to compete with hungry deer that keep eating my tomatoes. I did not have this dear problem last year, but since there has been a shortage of rain recently and the deer’s habitat near my home is being destroyed to construct new homes, the deer have been forced to find other sources of food and water, such as my new rosebuds, strawberry plant leaves, and a large quantity of my newly ripened tomatoes. Although I was initially disappointed with the deer’s consumption of my bountiful crop, the feeling was immediately replaced by sympathy for the hungry deer were just trying to survive.

This recipe for the cherry tomatoes salad is simply to use a large volume of tomatoes. It makes me feel good when I eat this salad because it is healthy and tasty. This salad can be served alone as a meal or as an appetizer with cheese and toast.

Ingredients:
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1 cup English cucumbers, diced
1 cup watercress, cut up
1/4 cup chopped sweet white onions
1/2 cup herbs – basil, cilantro, and parsley
3 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
Dressing
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
1/3 cup good olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced

Directions:
Combine cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and herbs in a mixing bowl.
In a glass jar with lid, add all the dressing ingredients and shake well. Pour dressing over the tomatoes and let chill for an hour. Then add watercress and green onions. Toss well before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment