Thursday, October 30, 2014

Grilled Salmon with Savory Miso Sauce

I just went back to Vietnam for the first time after leaving there 30 years ago. While waiting at Tokyo, Japan's airport for a connecting flight to go back to America, I had some time to walk around the airport to learn a little about the Japanese culture and paid special attention to their cuisine. As I especially noticed a little about their meals being served on the Nippon Airways flight home, I came to like them for the simplicity and healthy ingredients of each meal. Because of this experience, upon my return to America, I will do a few Japanese dishes to remind myself how wonderful and meaningful this trip was to me. The recipe below is for a simple dish that I enjoyed very much on the flight. So please try to create this dish with me.

Ingredients:
Two 8 oz. salmon fillets, skin on
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper
2 tbs flour 
Sauce ingredients: 
2 tbs sake (Japanese rice wine)
1 tbs miso
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine)
1 tbs butter
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
Additional items:
Steamed vegetables, your choice
Cooked rice

Directions: 
Mix garlic, salt, black pepper, and flour together on a plate. Dredge both sides of each fish and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, mirin, miso, and balsamic vinegar together and mix well (you might need a little water to dissolve the miso).
In a medium sauté pan or grilling pan over medium-high heat, add butter and a little oil. Wait until butter starts melting, then place fish with skin down. Grill fish for 3 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
In the same pan, deglaze with sake. Pour all the sauce into the pan and bring to boil. Place fish onto a serving plate and pour sauce over fish. Serve with steamed vegetables of your choice and cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment