Sunday, April 5, 2015

Rhubarb Lentil Vegetable Soup

The first sign in spring is when the rhubarb and parsley appear in my garden. I was not a fan of rhubarb at first, but the beauty of rhubarb leaves reminds me of an elephant ears plant. The stalk of rhubarb is frequently used to make a good pie. I posted a rhubarb pie recipe on my blog last spring when I first grew this plant. Having this plant in my garden is not just for the looks anymore because I found that I can create many recipes from it. Starting today, I will make rhubarb lentil soup. This soup is very much a vegetarian soup when using water instead of chicken broth. I have leftover roasted chicken from the other night and is perfect to add into this soup before serving. This warm bowl of soup has earned the title of comfort food.




Ingredients:
1/2 cup lentils, soaked in water for a few hours
1 cup freshly cut rhubarb
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbs olive oil
5 cups chicken broth

Directions:
To prepare the rhubarb, I like to wash and remove the tough outer veins of rhubarb before slicing into 1/2 inch thick chunks.

Drain lentils and set aside.
In a pot, add oil and heat until hot. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Stir and cook until soft.


Add rhubarb, half of the parsley and all the lentils. Stir for a few minutes. Season with salt and black pepper (some cayenne can be used if you like a little kick). Add broth and bring to boil.

 Simmer for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Add roasted chicken, if using in the last minute and heat through. Ladle soup into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the other half of fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment