Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Written In Memory Of Mother.

 My mother was 96 years old, and she passed away not long ago. I was so lucky to be with my mother and to hold her frail hand in her last moments. I saw my mother peaceful and happy as she said goodbye to this world. At that moment, I was very touched and grateful to my mother for giving me this life. My mother's passing made me reflect on my past life when I leave and that in a possible thirty more years with the health I currently have. I will probably go alone, and no one close to me will be with me. When I thought about this, I suddenly realized that my mother had served the Dharma all her life, and only through her sacrifices for her husband and children was she able to have such a peaceful death, "lying dead like a dream" (TCS). One of my younger brothers compared our mother to a fairy, but fairies are not on earth, and she finally left us. Among my brothers, they seemed very sad because they missed her. Perhaps because all her life, Mother was closer and showed more love to my brothers than to the girls in the family like me. I understand their feelings, and my mother's passing left a big hole that will take time to fill. We have no choice in this life, whether we live or die. I also remember the teachings of Zen master Nhat Hanh: that parents and children are one, with no distinction or separation. After my mother passed away, I often listened to the song "Nghin thu" by musician Pham Duy, "Thousand years, I'm already yours," which talks about the connection between us from countless past lives.

I believe my mother still lives in me, my heart, and my blood. I'm not sad to miss my mother, but I'm happy to have such a wonderful mother. These thoughts grow in me every day, so I don't miss my mother like my brothers and sisters, but because I cherish and love my mother because she is still present in my form (body).

Yesterday, my younger sister sent pictures of our mother's funeral, which were very solemn and beautiful. Looking at the last image of Mother in the coffin with yellow roses skillfully arranged around her, I feel even more like human life is just a dream or as Buddha said, "life is just a breath".

Life is fast and small, and looking back is already more than half of a person's life. Time passes quickly like the shadow of a tree passing outside the window. So sometimes when you're sad, think of life as a subtraction, one less time, what's there to be miserable about? Don't forget the gratitude of those who help you, don't blame those who treat you badly, and don't hold on to hatred for others forever, you will automatically see how peaceful and beautiful life can be! When encountering sad or unsatisfactory events, think that life is just one time to overcome. Human life comes empty-handed and when we leave this world, we are also empty-handed. What remains is what you leave behind for life.

Living a meaningful life means we have paid back the people who gave birth to us. I want to share that with you because you and I are both special and valuable people. We deserve to be happy.

 

Thien Lan

Written in memory of Mother


No comments:

Post a Comment