Thursday, November 8, 2012

Potatoe Quinoa Cakes

This morning when I looked in my refrigerator, I found cooked quinoa and mashed potatoes left from making bread yesterday. Wow! I realized what I could do with all of good food for my breakfast by combining both quinoa and potatoes and also clean out of my refrigerator at the same time. The texture of quinoa after cooking remains very crunchy. If I added quinoa to mashed potatoes and some other spices, I could transform this into some delicious, nutritious meal. I started looking for some fresh herbs and spices that can go well together. Normally, if my recipes do not turn out well, the wild birds in my garden have a fun day, but not this one. After making these cakes, I dropped them off for my neighbor to try, and she approved of their taste. I think you will agree.

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups mashed potatoes
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup chopped mushrooms (your choice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped sweet white onions
3 green onions, chopped
1 tbs fresh basil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup coconut oil or grape seed oil
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)

Serve with sausages or bacon (optional)

Directions:
In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tbs of coconut oil. Stir in white onions and garlic. Sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are wilted (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat.

In a mixing bowl, combine quinoa, mashed potatoes, beaten eggs, green onions, fresh basil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and the sautéed mushrooms mixture.

Form the mixture into 8 patties and roll each patty with panko to completely cover each patty.
 
 

In a sauté pan over medium high heat, add the rest of the coconut oil until hot. Carefully drop each patty into the hot oil (do not crowd the pan).

 Fry each side for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.

These cakes can be served with fried bacon or sausages on the side.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment