Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie

The sweet potato is one of my favorite vegetables, and it is also a good substitute for sugary sweets every time I crave a sweet thing. I can eat a steamed, baked, or fried sweet potato. I have always wanted to make sweet potato pie, but I never brought myself make it. I know that eating too much fat will risk developing heart disease, so that is one of the reasons preventing me from making this sweet pie. However, I found a recipe that uses very moderate amounts of fat and sugar, and the recipe presented here cuts back some of the fat and sugar even more. I made my own pie crust, so I know exactly the fat content in the crust. In the supermarket, there are many low-fat piecrust available, which is very convenient. The sweet potato is already naturally sweet by itself. I am very happy with the results of this pie.
 
Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, baked and mashed (about 3 cups total)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tbs butter, cut into cubes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla

One 9 inch uncorked pie crust (homemade or Pillsbury)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, and ground ginger and whisk the mixture until well mixed. Pour the mixture onto the pie crust. Dot the top with butter. Bake in the oven for 55 to 60 minutes. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment