Thursday, March 6, 2014

Kombu (seaweed)-Avocado Sandwich Bread

I make kombu (Japanese kelp or seaweed) broth often, and the leftover cooked seaweed I can use for preparing different kinds of dishes. Today, I used the cooked seaweed to make sandwich bread. However, I included a half cup of mashed avocado into the bread to enhance the green color and also to add good nutrition into the bread. I own a bread machine; therefore, making bread at home has become so easy for me. It helps me to create my own bread recipes. I realize that most people do not know how wonderful it is to have a bread machine in a kitchen; in fact, I own several bread machines that I bought at a local Goodwill store, which were most likely unused wedding gifts donated to Goodwill.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup water
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed avocado
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 cup chopped cooked seaweed
1 tbs coconut oil
2 1/2 cups bread flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

1 egg (for egg wash)

Directions:
Place all the ingredients into a bread machine pan in the order listed above. Select the dough function and press start. When the dough has finished the kneading and rising enough, the machine will beep. Use coconut oil to grease a 9” x 5” loaf pan. Remove dough from the bread machine pan and shape into the size of the loaf pan. Cover loaf pan with a kitchen towel and let dough rise until double in size (about 40 to 50 minutes). Break an egg and use a pastry brush to brush the surface of dough with eggwash. Preheat oven to 350° and bake bread for 25 to 30 minutes – baking time can vary depending upon on the variety of oven used. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing to serve.



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment