Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Salmon & Tofu in Kombu Broth

I visited my family in California last week, and on the day before I left, both of my nieces invited me and my mother to a Japanese restaurant. This restaurant serves a famous soup in a large pot at the table. The broth is made with kombu (Japanese for kelp), and it is one of many healthy Japanese broths. Each diner orders a different plate of meats or seafood to make his or her own soup with the kombu. Udon noodles and hot cooked rice are served together with the soup. We had a wonderful time, and I was inspired to make a new soup for myself at home.  My version of this soup is much simpler than the one in this Japanese restaurant. I make my own kombu broth with a tablespoon or two of dashi powder (fish powder).  This soup is a quick and healthy meal that I am so glad that I had a chance to create from some ideas spawned from the soup in the Japanese restaurant in California.

Ingredients:
Kombu broth
One 6” x 5”piece of kelp

6 cups water
2 tbs dashi powder
1 tsp salt
Fish and vegetables
6 oz. salmon fillet, cut bite size
6 oz. soft tofu, cut bite size
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup diced Japanese squash or honey pumpkin
Handful of watercress, cut up
4 dry shitake mushrooms, soaked in water and sliced
1/2 cup white onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced

Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro
Udon or vermicelli noodles

Directions:


Wash kelp and soak in 6 cups of water for one hour.
 

 On very low heat, bring kelp in soaked water to boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes and remove the kelp. Add salt and fish powder. Add carrot, white onions, garlic, squash or pumpkin, and mushrooms. Bring to boil, cook until both the carrot and squash or pumpkin are tender. Add tofu, watercress, and salmon.  Bring the soup back to boiling. Re-season again with some soy sauce and salt. If served with noodles, then place noodles on the bottom of a serving bowl.

 Divide salmon, tofu, and vegetables and place on top of the noodles. Ladle broth over them and sprinkle with green onions and cilantro. Add a teaspoon of sesame oil into the soup, if desired. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment