Sunday, March 9, 2014

Meatballs Soup

My friend is leaving town tonight, and I already invited her to my house for dinner before she goes on her vacation. I am thinking about making some light supper and what comes to my mind is an Italian wedding soup. I read a few recipes for this soup; it is simple to make. My friend has been on her special diet for months now, so I have to create my own recipe for this soup to fit her diet. Most of the recipes for this soup are using ground beef and pork to make meatballs, and some use quite a lot of cheese and beef broth. I came up with this version of Italian meatballs wedding soup to send my friend off on her vacation with a healthy, hearty soup and surrounded with good friends. 

Ingredients:
For the meat balls:
1/2 lb. ground chicken
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 tbs fresh parley, chopped
1 tbs fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup white onions, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
For the soup:
2 quarts of chicken broth
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 lb. fresh baby spinach, washed
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp chili flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs, beaten

Oil for frying meatballs

Directions:
To make meatballs, combine all the meatball ingredients together and mix well.

Use a small ice cream scoop to form a meatball.



In a medium skillet, add oil. When oil is hot, fry meatballs until cooked, but not too brown. Remove and set aside.



In a medium pot, add some oil, onions, chili flakes, and garlic, until fragrant. Add broth to a pot and carrots. Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes.

Add the meatballs back into the simmering broth. Season with salt and pepper.

Bring the broth back to boil again.

 Check to see if the ccarrots are tender, then add the spinach.

Let the soup boil for 1 minute and turn the heat off. Pour beaten eggs into the soup using a fork to swirl around clockwise. Let soup sit for a few minutes, and then ladle soup into a serving bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment