Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Stir-Fried Fish with Chives

Looking for an adventure in cooking in an easy but healthy way is one of my pledges since I started my blog.  It also helps my confidence being a self-taught cook. From my kitchen, I have learned how to grown some fresh herbs on my kitchen windowsill, so I can have fresh herbs at my fingertips whenever I need them. One herbs that is easy to grow and brings a lot of joy to cooking is chive. I always have two kinds of chives in my garden. They are onion and garlic chives, and both of them come back year after year. I like both of them. Each has a slightly different smell. As their names connote, they both smell like either garlic or onion. I use the onion chive a lot in stir-fried dishes. The recipe that I introduce today is an example of how simple dinner can be prepared.

Ingredients:
Two 8 oz tuna fillets
1 cup color sweet bell peppers, julienned
2 tbs cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
A large bunch of chives cut into 3 inch lengths
1/2 red or white onion, thickly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 knob of fresh ginger, minced, about 1 tbs
2 tbs peanut oil
Sauce ingredients:
1/2 cup water
1 tbs cooking wine
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp cornstarch

Directions:
Cut tuna into 2 inch pieces. Combine cornstarch, salt, and black pepper in a bowl and roll tuna pieces in the cornstarch to completely cover the fish cubes. Place tuna fish on a sieve to shake off any flour.
Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix.
In a wok, add oil over high heat. Add fish and stir-fry until golden brown. Remove from wok.

Add ginger and garlic to wok and cook until fragrant. Add  onions and cook until softened.

 Add sweet pepper and cook for 1 minute.

 Quickly stir in sauce, fish, and chives. Coat fish and chives with sauce.

Turn off heat and place on serving dish. Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment