Monday, November 21, 2016

Candied Yams

Thanksgiving is coming and during this holiday season, I enjoy the music to feed my soul and the good healthy food for my body. Gathering together to enjoy the music as well as the smell and taste of traditional food on the Thanksgiving table always brings happy memories to me. The first time I was invited by a friend to join his family on Thanksgiving, I noticed the candied yams present on the table. I have loved that dish ever since then. However, for many years now since preparing the Thanksgiving dinner every year, I know how to prepare this easy dish without having to buy canned candied yams from a grocery store. I think homemade tastes better and is healthier. Here is an easy recipe for homemade candied yams, which eliminates the need for candied yams in a can.

Ingredients:
3 medium sweet potatoes, washed
2 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Boil the sweet potatoes with their skin in boiling water for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender when poked with a knife.



Preheat oven to 350°.
Use 1 tsp coconut oil to grease a baking dish. Peel the sweet potatoes skin and slice them and place in the baking dish.

In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil or butter and mix in honey, salt, and cinnamon (stirring until well blended).
Brush the honey, cinnamon glaze over the yam.
Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment