Friday, March 10, 2017

Taro Soup with Chicken Drumsticks

When we were young, my mom cooked the taro soup with shrimp or pork ribs in such a way to let us know that we were obedient. Normally, my mother made the taro soup with dried shrimp to save money for a family with 10 children like ours. I love this soup either cooked with dried shrimp, fresh shrimp, or pork ribs, but I do not usually cook this soup because I do not live near a Vietnamese or Korean food market for all the necessary ingredients. Yesterday, my friend visited me and gave me some taro that she bough while shopping at a Vietnamese grocery. I still like the taste of taro soup with shrimp or pork ribs. However, my diet has changed quite of lot recently, so instead I like to make this soup with chicken drumsticks. I also encourage people to use kelp broth instead of water and a few carrots and daikon, which will increase the taste and add nutrients for this very popular rural soup.

Ingredients:
6 chicken drumsticks
1 lb. taro, peeled, washed and cut in half
1 carrot, cut in thick slices
1 piece of daikon, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, chopped
6 cups kelp broth*
Seasonings:
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp back pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp mushroom seasoning
1 tbs fish sauce

 Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions

Directions:
Remove skin from drumsticks, then wash and cut drumsticks into big pieces. Add minced garlic, shallot. salt. let it marinate for a few hours

In a pot, heat 2 tbs peanut oil. Add drumsticks and stir to brown the chicken (about 5 minutes).



Add kelp broth and bring to boil, Cook for 5 minutes and add carrot, taro, and daikon. Season with salt and sugar.

Bring to boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken and all the root crops have cooked through.

 Adjust the taste with fish sauce at this point.

Ladle the soup into a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions

*To make kelp broth:
Soak a piece of 4” x 4” kelp in 6 cups of water for 30 minutes. Slowly bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove kelp and use the cooked kelp in a salad. The broth is ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment