Friday, May 20, 2016

Black-Eyed Peas Congee (Chè đậu trắng)

Of the many desserts in Vietnam, the black-eyed peas congee is one of the dishes I enjoyed. Normally, this recipe requires quite a long cooking process due to the part of cooking the black-eyed peas first. Lately, when I discovered that I can use black-eyed peas in a can, it has become heaven for me every time I want to prepare this dessert. Carefully read the label on the black-eyed peas can to ensure there are no spices, just salt and water. Also, I learned making this dessert in a rice cooker is another wonderful shortcut method.  I haven't told all my friends or family members just yet about the shortcut because I would like them to think that I have to spend all day making this dessert. With this simple cooking method, I do not have to stand by the stove and stir constantly to prevent the sweet congee from burning. For this recipe, I believe that the porridge will be very special, and if you do not tell people how you cooked it, they will feel that you are very precious to them.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup sweet rice, rinsed and drained
1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
A rice cooker
Coconut cream for the topping and roasted sesame seeds


Directions:
Place black-eyed peas on the bottom. Then add sugar, sweet rice, and salt and vanilla. 


 
 



 If you can find the fresh pandan leaves for this recipe, then omit the vanilla. Put the pandan leaves on top. Add water and close the lid. Turn to cook like making rice. Let it cook. The sweet congee is done when the cooking time is set.
 


 
 
 
Serve with coconut cream and sprinkle with some roasted sesame seeds.
*To make coconut cream:
 1 cup coconut milk or cream
1/2 cup water
3 tbs sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla (or pandian leaves)
2 tsp cornstarch
Directions:
Combine all the coconut cream ingredients (If you can get some fresh pandian leaves, they will be better. Just proceed with pandian leaves and omit the vanilla) in a bowl and mix well.

Pour into a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for a few minutes or until thickened
 

No comments:

Post a Comment