Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pork-Eggs Simmering in a Clay Pot

Growing up with an excellent cook, my mother, I feel like I never missed any good meals that my mother could not duplicate to feed her ten children. Since 1954, after the Geneva treaty was signed, my parents left their home town in the North of Vietnam and continued to move further to the south of Vietnam. At the time like the other refugee families in your own country, my parents had to learn how to survive. The only way my mother knew best was her talent as a cook, and she trained herself as she went. She prepared meals for neighbors to receive a little money and kept some left over food for us. Later, she catered to bigger groups of people until we settled in Saigon (the then capital of South Vietnam) to open her first restaurant. She thought that from then on her family would be safe and rooted, but her destiny changed one more time in 1975 when the North Vietnamese Communist government forced its way into the South, and the Vietnam war ended,. My family again was forcibly removed from our hometown, but fortunately my family was able to emigrate to Chicago, Illinois in the United States where a new restaurant was opened in 1985. My mother once again contributed her talents with every meal that sold in the restaurant to help us graduate from college so that her children wouldn't have to work so hard like herself. My mother is now 85 years old and enjoying her retired life around her loving children. Among her kids, I am fortunate to have inherited her cooking talent, and for that I always am grateful. Mother's Day is coming. I just want to share one of many dishes that was sold in my family's restaurant during those years. This dish is quite famous among Asian people, and later the recipe was introduced in my family's restaurant with a few changes in the ingredients to satisfy the Western customers' tastes, and now it is a Happy Mother's Day present for mothers everywhere.
Ingredients:
1 lbs pork butt, cut into 2 inch chunk
5 hard boiled eggs
1/4 cup oil
3 shallots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 dried hot chilies
1/2 cup ponzu sauce (Japanese flavor sauce) store bought or home made*
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 tbs honey

Garnish with chopped green onions, chopped cilantro leaves

 Directions:
In a large clay pot over medium heat, add oil, shallots and garlic. Stir until fragrant. Add pork and then brown on all sides (about 5 minutes). Add hard boiled eggs, ponzu sauce, hot chili, chicken broth, black pepper, and honey. Bring to boil. Cover and lower heat to simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover to cook further to reduce the sauce in half. Season with salt, if needed. Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro and serve with rice.

To make ponzu sauce:
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark soy sauce
1 cup dashi stock (kombu stock made with seaweed)
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Bring all of these ingredients to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes; Remove and refrigerate (can be refrigerated for months).

No comments:

Post a Comment