Monday, August 6, 2012

Vietnamese Omelet with Dill and Scallion

Egg is one of my favorite protein foods for breakfast. I love hard boil eggs, scrambled eggs, sunny side up eggs, etc., but the omelet is my dish because it reminds me about my childhood. In Vietnam the whole family, 4 to 10 people, shared 3 eggs per meal and that is why the omelet was the only dish made. The sunny side up egg was the reward that my mother made for us if we got a good grade in school. When making the omelet, my mother always spent her time to whisk the eggs until they were foaming and airy because that made more volume for the eggs when she fried them. Also, she added scallions and dill to flavor the dish and sometimes threw in some tomatoes. Living in America, the eggs are so affordable. I still want to make the eggs the way my mother did because it is a sweet memory that I shared with my mother.  
Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 tbs oil
2 tbs fresh dill, chopped
1 scallion, sliced or  cut into 1/2 inch lengths
1 hot chili, chopped
1 shallot, sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup fresh tomato, seeded and chopped
1 tbs fish sauce
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions:
Beat eggs in a bowl until foaming (about 3 minutes).

 Stir in dill, scallion, chili, fish sauce, salt, and black pepper.

In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbs vegetable oil. Add shallot and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until softened (about 2 minutes). Add the remaining oil. When it is hot, pour in the egg mixture. Turn down the heat and cook undisturbed. Distribute the tomatoes on top.

 Run a heatproof plastic spatula around the edge to loosen the omelet and cook until golden brown on the bottom (about 1 minute). Invert the omelet onto a plate and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment