Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Cherry Pie

I like to make pie, but I was always afraid of making pie crust at home. Recently, I bought a new KitchenAid tilt head stand mixer. I decided to give the new mixer a chance with this task. I followed the recipe in the mixer’s booklet exactly. With my fingers crossed, I hoped that this time I could get the fear of making pie crust out of my mind. I remember that cherry pie is one of my brother, Dzung's, favorite desserts, and this one is for him--in spirit.

Ingredients:
KitchenAid pie pastry:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening, well chilled
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, well chilled
5 to 6 tablespoons cold water

(I do not recommend this recipe because the list of ingredients provided does not produce a sufficient amount of dough for an 8 Inch diameter pie.)
Directions:
Place flour and salt in mixer bowl, Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer. Turn to stir speed and mix about 15 seconds. Cut shortening and butter into pieces and add to flour mixture. Turn to stir speed and mix until shortening clumps are the size of small peas (30 to 45 seconds).
While continuing on stir speed, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, mixing until ingredients are moistened and dough begins to hold together. After removing from bowl, divide dough in half. Pat each half into a smooth ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.

For two-crust pie:
Trim pastry even with edge of pie plate. Using second half of dough, roll out another pastry crust. Add desired pie filling. Top with second pastry crust. Seal edge. Crimp as desired. Cut slits to allow steam to escape. Fold edge under.


Cherry filling ingredients:
2 pie dough crusts
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1 ½ cups frozen blueberries
2 tbs cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
I found this easy recipe for cherry and blueberries pie on the Pillsbury website. It is so simple to use for entertaining guests. Especially since Thanksgiving is around the corner.
Heat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and cinnamon. Stir in cherry pie filling and blueberries. Spoon into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust. Seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.


I do not decorate this pie well.

No comments:

Post a Comment