Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Inscribed Unknown Tombstone

The crypt in the church basement of the world famous Westminster Abbey in London has a world renowned tombstone. In fact, this is very normal tombstone. It is made of rough granite, and the shape is also very normal. Around it is the tombstone of famous people, such as King George II, Henry III, and 20 other tombstones of former kings of England, as well as Newton, Darwin, Charles Dickens, and many other notable historical persons. Therefore, the crypt is tiny and not often noticed and on which no date of birth and death are present, not even an introduction to the owner nor the tomb.
Although the tombstone is nameless, it has become a famous tombstone worldwide. Whenever people visit the Westminster church, they cannot just worship the tombs of the kings have had the glorious victories around the world, nor only the tombs of Dickens, Darwin, and the world's other famous people, but few do not also admire this unusual, gravestone of an unnamed Anglican Bishop. The inscription on the tomb invokes strong emotions. To be precise, they are moved by the inscription on the tombstone that is engraved with this self passage:
"When I was young, and free and my imagination had no limits, I dreamed to change the world.
As I grew older and wiser, I discovered the world would not change, so I shortened my sights somewhat and decided to change only my country.
But it, too, seemed immovable. As I entered my twilight years, in one last desperate attempt, I settled for changing only my family, those closest to me,
but alas, they would have none of it. And now, as I lie on my deathbed, I suddenly realize: if I had only changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family. From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country, and who knows, I may have even changed the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment