Monday, June 13, 2016

Roasted Whole Chicken

I like to buy a whole roasted chicken at Costco or other large grocery store for a quick dinner. However, since I now own a NuWave® oven, it has changed the way I cook now. I began by first roasting just the chicken parts, and they turned out perfectly. So today, I feel confident enough to prepare the whole chicken. The NuWave® oven as proved what they claim by creating a good meal in less time. The NuWave® oven can save time necessary for cooking, is easily cleaned, and needs only a small space on the countertop. Many recipes for whole roast chicken start with a spice rub, herbs, and oil-butter. For people who are first attempting to roast a chicken at home, my advice is to buy the rub with a famous chef’s name and use that. I always make my own rub because I have a full herbs garden during the summer in the Pacific Northwest, and I want to take advantage of the summer season to enjoy my herbs. Anyway, if a NuWave® oven is not available, then a regular oven will work. The NuWave® oven uses the combination of convection, conduction, and infrared heat to brown the chicken and roasts the meat evenly. With that technique, the chicken will be juicy when it roasts. My recipe today will definitely help to assure you that they chicken will be juicy.

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (3 to 5 lbs.)
1/4 cup canola oil and melted butter
2 tsp of salt, black pepper, and paprika
Herbs and other ingredients:
1/2 cup of fresh chopped thyme, rosemary, oregano, and sage
4 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of one lime or lemon

Directions:
Wash and remove the giblets from the chicken. Use paper towels to dry the chicken.

Mix herbs, garlic, and lemon juice in a bowl.

Place oil and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute or until the butter has melted.
If you do not have a NuWave® oven, then use a baking sheet. Tuck chicken wings under and tie the chicken legs.
Rub the whole chicken inside and out with oil-butter, salt, pepper, paprika, and herbs-lemon mixture.
Preheat oven to 350° and roast the chicken for 17 minutes per lb.



I use some sliced onion on the baking pan and place the chicken on top. Place the chicken in the NuWave® oven as instructed. Breast side down and bake for 35 minutes.

Rotate the chicken breast side up and continue to bake for another 35 minutes. I ran out of kitchen twine, so I use foil to tie both legs. It works okay. 

My whole chicken is done in one hour and 10 minutes. Some of the roasted chicken recipes use pan juice to make gravy or dressing. My chicken is delicious as is.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment