Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Vegetarian Fish Sauce

When my mom still volunteered her time to prepare vegetarian dishes at the Quang Minh Temple in Chicago, she used to make this sauce with fresh pineapple and red delicious apples. Her sauce was always a big hit when it was served. I know some other cooks use apple juice. However, apple juice makes sense to me even though my mom’s sauce is very good. I combine the two method to create this sauce and am very happy with the result. Here it is.

Ingredients:
1/2 fresh pineapple, cut up
1 gallon of apple juice
2 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup soy sauce for color
4 oz. rock sugar

Directions:
Place all the ingredients in a medium pot and bring to boil.

 

 Turn heat down to simmer and cook further until the apple juice is reduced in half.

Drain through a sieve and pour into a clean glass bottle with lid. Refrigerate to use as a dipping sauce for noodles, egg rolls, etc.


 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment