Sunday, October 18, 2015

Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Drumsticks

Yesterday, I made vegan Pad Thai sauce using a crock pot. Today, with the same sauce, I will share this recipe with same method of cooking using a crock pot, a wonderful kitchen tool that makes a woman’s life easier. Many recipes are similar to this one, but I created this one to satisfy my own taste and also for easy cleanup. My way of cooking is simple and healthy, but the drumstick is a part of the chicken that I love to eat sometimes if it is prepared deliciously. The skin is part of the drumstick is the most flavorful after cooking, and I know it is quite fatty. However, I can stay away from fat for a few weeks afterwards. This recipe will not be good if using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. So just forget eating a completely healthy meal for just today!!

Ingredients:
10 chicken drumsticks
Sauce ingredients:
1/2 cup Pad Thai sauce*
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
2 tbs mirin
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
2 dried red hot chillies
1/2 tsp black pepper

 Garnish with green onions and roasted sesame seeds

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to boil. Add chicken drumsticks to boiling water and cook for 1 minute (I do this part to make the sauce more purified).



Combine all the sauce ingredients and mix well.

Place drumsticks into a crock pot and pour sauce over the drumsticks. Cover crock pot and turn to high for 4 hours. In about 2 hours of cooking, make a quick stir.


Remove some of the sauce and cook it in a sauce pan until reduce to sticky saucy. Pour it back in the crock pot and continues cooking process until done


 

When it is done, sprinkle with green onions and roasted sesame seeds. Serve over rice.

*I use my own Pad Thai sauce, but the combination of the following ingredients that I learned from other websites are for a similar recipe can be substituted (your choice). The result will be a sweet, sticky, and a little sour taste similar to Adobo sauce.

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup of water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment