Friday, June 19, 2015

Raisin Cranberry Bran Muffins

Freshly baked muffins are always tempting for children and adults. Learning to make a batch of muffins of any kind is a good thing because it is the easiest task in the baking world. Most of the ingredients are available for most cooks, such as me or you. The first time I tried to make muffins was from the blog, Chicken in the Road, where she shows how to create a cake mix at home. Her recipes are right on. I did follow her to learn all the baking recipes using cake mix. Lately, I found some recipes from the 1 Mix for 100 Muffins book by Susanna Tee. I want to give them a try. The recipe that I will prepare today is healthier by using coconut oil instead of butter, even though butter provides the best flavor. I follow all the liquid suggestions from Susanna. However, I substitute other ingredients for this batch of muffins because I wanted to see if the granola oat bran raisin mix that my friend, Pamela, gave them to me, could work for these muffins – and it did! The point is that healthy, good-tasting muffins are easily achievable.

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
2 bags of granola old bran raisin mix
 
 

1/2 cup superfine sugar*
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
6 tbs coconut oil, melted or about 1/3 cup of melted butter or vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

*To make superfine sugar, just place regular sugar in food processor and pulse a few times

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.
Line a 12 muffin tin with muffin tin liners.

Stir the flour, baking powder, granola oat bran, cranberries, and sugar.

In a mixing bowl, using a handheld Mixer, lightly beat eggs. Then beat in milk, oil, and vanilla extract.

 Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the liquid ingredients. Stir gently just until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix.

Spoon the batter 2/3 full into muffin tin liners. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until well risen, golden brown, and firm to the touch.

Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment