Saturday, June 20, 2015

Simple Father Day White Cake

Usually, most people mention Mother’s Day as special, but disappointingly seldom is something spoken respectfully about Father’s Day. From the day my father left this life, I realized that when my father was alive, he used to enjoy a piece of cake after every meal. I have loved cooking most of my adult life, but when it came to baking pastries, I really did not have enough patience for that to become a great baker because patience is a large part of the baking game. So, I never made cakes to give my dad on Father’s Day. After he died, I felt regret for not having made him even a simple cake, so I do not have those special memories with my dad on Father’s Day. That's why, after losing my father, I was determined to learn baking cakes. I do not dream to be a great baker, but I have learned a few simple cake recipes just to remind me of my dad on Father’s Day when I am thinking about him. I hope this simple white cake will encourage all the daughters, mothers, or the wives out there who still have dads or special men whom they love and wish to give this cake on this special day because it’s so easy to make.  I know that ordering a cake from a bakery or store is also good, but if  the cake includes a bit of your effort, time, and feelings for someone we love, that is something very special and precious.
 
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt 
3 ½ tsp baking soda
1 cup superfine sugar
5 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup club soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
Ingredients to make chocolate frosting (*directions at the bottom):
1/3 cup skim milk
4 tbs butter
2 tbs corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
 
One 10 in. diameter fluted pan or a 13” x 9” baking pan, greased and floured.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl and set aside.
Using a KitchenAid stand mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until mixture forms a stiff peak. Set aside.

Using another KitchenAid mixer bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add 1/4 cup milk and continue beating. Add flour and the rest of milk, almond extract, and 1/4 cup club soda (the batter might be a little thick and sticky).

 Try to fold the batter into the egg whites mixture in a slow folding motion as much as you can without deflating the air from the egg whites.

It needs some practice time.
Pour batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.





 

*To make frosting:
Combine butter, sugar, milk, and corn syrup. Bring to boil and stir for 1 minute. Boil for another minute. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips. Continue to stir until melted. Let cool slightly before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment