Monday, January 2, 2012

Vegetable Stock

The last time I was visiting my mother, who lives with my brother, Dzung, in California, I prepared a vegetarian soup that included a special stock. I always think good soup has to have either a good meat stock or vegetable stock as the soup base, but also be simple enough for everyday healthy meals. I love to delight my family and friends with the simplest special spices, rare flavors, and unusual aromas even with just vegetable broth. Dzung was impressed with my broth, and he wants me to share this recipe with him. I scaled down the quantity of the ingredients so Dzung or someone living alone can prepare this wonderful broth. With this broth, cooking time will be cut in half and so many dishes can be made with it, such as miso soup, bean soup, tomato, egg-drop soup, etc... This broth freezes well. I encourage people to use cooking as a way to express themselves in the same way that Artists express their thoughts on canvas. By using one's imagination, the opportunities are endless.
Equiptment:
One 8 qt stock pot
Ingredients:
1 kohlrabi
1 chipotle squash
2 medium carrots
1 leek
2 celery stalks
1 small jicama
1 Fuji apple
1/4 head cabbage
1 small daikon
1 small honey squash , cut into half with seeds removed*
2 oz rock sugar
2 oz salt
2 tbs whole black pepper
1 piece kelp or kombu (six-inch length, cleaned with a wet paper towel).

Directions:
Wash and cut vegetables into big chunks. Place all the ingredients above the kelp or kombu piece into stock pot. Fill up with fresh water and bring to boil over medium heat.

Skim off any residue that rises to the top. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours. Add a piece of clean kombu or kelp and simmer for another 1/2 hour.

Let the broth cool off; Drain broth through sieve. The broth now is ready to use. The broth can be put in freezer at this point for later use.

* Winter squash can be substituted

No comments:

Post a Comment