Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dried Bananas

Dried Bananas is one of my childhood snacks that I love but I haven't found dried bananas like the one that I had in Vietnam in any supermarket in America. Therefore, I had to figure how to make my own. After a few failures, which included the cost of buying a dehydrating machine to help the process, I stopped trying until I moved into my new home with a built-in Miele oven in my kitchen. I started making dried bananas again, and this time I did it. The Miele oven has a perfect dehydrating function that uses just the right temperature to get the job done. I think that maybe any oven can make dry bananas if using the right temperature,about 175°. Even though it took me too long to figure it out, I am glad I did, and now I want to share this recipe because dried bananas contain little fat and most of the water is extracted from the bananas, leaving a natural sweet taste that one can eat and still loose weight in a healthy way.
Ingredients:
16 to 20 good size ripe but still firm bananas
1/4 cup salt
2 gallons of water

2 cookie racks
2 rectangular trays (length and width must be larger than the cookie racks)

Directions:
In a large container or sink with water, add salt. Stir until salt dissolves. Peel bananas and drop into the salt water. Let bananas soak for two hours.


Set the cookie racks inside the trays. Remove the bananas after soaking and place onto the racks 1 inch apart.



 Turn the oven on using the dehydrate function and put the bananas into the oven for 10 hours. Turn the bananas after 10 hours of drying and let them dry for another 14 hours. The dried bananas can be kept for months.

No comments:

Post a Comment