Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Dried Shimp Soup

For the first time, I planted a variety of pumpkin seeds in late summer for fall pumpkin harvesting. I forgot to write down the names of each variety that I planted. I didn't know if it was time to harvest the pumpkins or not. However, I took a chance and harvested one pumpkin that looked like a gourd or butter squash. I discovered it turned into a really good soup, just like the one my mother used to make for us. Cooking should always be fun and easy.
Ingredients:
3 cups of pumpkin cut up (winter melon or Japanese butter squash)
1/3 cup dried shrimp, soaked in hot water
4 cup vegetable or chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish:
Green onions and cilantro

Directions:

Bring the stock with the soaked dried shrimp to a boil. Let the stock and shrimp simmer for 10 minutes. Add pumpkin. Bring back to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Continue simmering until the pumpkin becomes soft (about 10 minutes). Sprinkle with green onions and cilantro. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment